Friday, March 18, 2016

Flashing Memories



I remember memories of my past in brief seconds-
Fleeting like the grand flash of a firework
And I watch them trickle away just the same.

I remember papa asking to help plant his garden
He made a perfect little hole in the ground
And I packed it with green pepper seeds, covered it with dirt.
It stops.

I remember Elaine and me; barefoot in my grandma’s kitchen
Flipping pancakes with a plastic spatula
Halfway through belting out Sweet Caroline
It stops.

I remember watching documentaries with my dad
Stupid things about snakes and Noah’s ark
And when they’re explaining the mechanics of poisonous fangs
It stops.

I remember my roommates yelling at me, again
As we stand in the puddle of our flooded basement
And when I open my mouth to respond
It stops.

I remember getting drunk with Gunnar in our apartment
His friend so flexible with his fake ID
And when I go to give him a whiskey-laced kiss
It stops.

I remember Water Street, Egret Court, Pine Street, Sunset Trail, Tripp Street
My grandparents, parents, friends and husband
 Each place filled with those brief, flashing moments.

1 comment: