Friday, February 19, 2016

Chapter 21

I remember memories of my past in brief seconds-
Fleeting like the grand flash of a firework
And I watch them trickle away just the same.

I remember my papa asking me to help him plant his garden
He made a perfect little hole in the ground
And I filled it up with seeds, covered it with dirt.
It stops.

I remember Elaine and me; barefoot in my grandmas kitchen
Flipping pancakes with a metal spatula
And halfway through belting out Sweet Caroline
It stops.

I remember watching documentaries with my dad at night
Stupid things about snakes and Noah’s ark
And when they’re explaining about poisonus fangs
It stops.

I remember my roommates yelling at me for something
Their faces stern and accusing
And just when I open my mouth to respond
It stops.

I remember getting drunk with Gunnar in our apartment
His friend with a fake ID providing
And when I go to give him a liquor-laced kiss
It stops.

I remember Water St., Egret Ct., Pine St., Sunset Tr., Tripp St.
My grandparents, parents, friends and husband

Each place filled with those brief, flashing moments.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I was little and my grandpa asked me to help plant his garden in the backyard, I remember when Elaine and I were about 13 and made pancakes at my grandparents house up here in minnesota after a sleepover we were singing and dancing i remember when my dad and i used to watch documentaries on national geographic all night i remember when i was living in eagan with amanada erika bree and how mean they always were to me how i never got a chance to defend myself I remember living in ames with gunnar when he was going to school and how his friend with a fake id would buy us alcohol sometimes.

    ReplyDelete