Thursday, January 28, 2016

Green Sandbox (Anaphoric list poem)

Beneath the green sandbox
An ecosystem creeps
Full of peaceful beetles
And worms that herd in sweeps

The slugs they smiled at me
Their ugly faces shining
Antennas bouncing with sly searching 
for each other in the blinding light

Dark beetles clicked their tiny feet
Creeping through the weeds
Their shells are covered in dark sheen
Their underbellies weak

I lied on my belly
As the insects scurried on
Their little island quite intriguing

For things of such small size.

1 comment:

  1. free write


    I moved the sandbox and looked beneath it such a lovely ecosystem crawling with so many insects they crawled and laughed and shrunk away from the sun in glittering clumps their shiny skin glittering in the sun slimy and unappealing but pretty in an unconventional way in a way that small tings are if you didn’t overthink them in a way that a smile is the worms slithered through the damp ground and around the dead blades of grass bleached white from lack of sun their grey body’s shifting and contracting and they gathered themselves and slunk away into the wet soil the slugs there were few of without shells and they were fat and thick and smirked at me with their ugly faces antennas feeling around for each other the big beetles clicked their teeth and scampered away, refusing to look at me I sat and sunk my hands into the soft soil, so cool and moist in comparison to the grassy earth surrounding it and felt the holes from worms dug beneath the ground the ant tunnels and roach nests and

    ReplyDelete